Welcome to JohnMichaels Pub's Blog

Welcome. I moved to Nashville in 2001, and have be blessed to make some wonderful friends. After moving from a house in Florida, to an apartment in Nashville, I missed being able to entertain groups of friends simply due to lack of space. When I finally decided to make Nashville my home and buy a house here, I wanted a space that friends to gather and socialize in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The basement in my new house, which opens into the back yard made the perfect space, so JohnMichael's Pub was born. I have made a couple of trips to Ireland since moving to Nashville and loved the atmosphere of the pubs there. So I made my pub to resemble an Irish style pub to give the atmosphere of a local community pubs in Ireland, but of course it is not a true "Pub" (Public house) since it private place for my friends to gather. I plan to use this blog to post thoughts, ideas, recipes and a variety of other things related to my pub and the parties held there. If you see anything here that interests you, feel free to email me. I have a great group of friends that is very diverse, but I am always open to making new friends.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Day 9 - A day in Glasgow


Imagine my excitement when we drove into Glasgow this morning and one of the first sites I saw was a blue police call box. After all, David Tennant, the 10th Doctor in the Dr. Who television series did grow up just outside of Glasgow. What better place for the Doctor to have parked his T.A.R.D.I.S. But alas, I knocked on the door and not Doctor, no David Tennant, no one. Just a police call box, but how much fun to get Matthew to take my picture next to it with me wearing my shirt with a picture of a TARDIS on the front with the caption "You never forget your first Doctor."







From there we walked a few blocks to what is called the Glasgow Cathedral, although it is now a Church of Scotland (Presbyterian) Church, which technically does not have cathedrals. It was built in the 13th century and is one of only a few to escape destruction during the Scottish reformation.






It is built on the original site of the chapel built by the city's founder St. Mungo in the 6th St. Mungo's remains are in below the alter shown in this picture. The alter is one level below the ground level of the church, under the location of the original high alter for the Church.







We also visited Provand's Lordship, the oldest surviving house in Glasgow, built in 1471. In 1566 century, Mary, Queen of Scots stayed here with her husband Lord Darneley while he recuperated from a serious illness.



We also stumbled into one of the halls for Strathclyde University that we thought was a church (originally was a church). The room was set for students to take their exams. Matthew commented that it looked like a sceen from Harry Potter (it looked like the hall at Hogworths).

From there we went to the Barras, the open air market (flea market in US terms) in downtown, the called it a day. Glasgow had so much more than we expected to find.

No comments: