Welcome to JohnMichaels Pub's Blog

Welcome. I moved to Nashville in 2001, and have be blessed to make some wonderful friends. After moving from a house in Florida, to an apartment in Nashville, I missed being able to entertain groups of friends simply due to lack of space. When I finally decided to make Nashville my home and buy a house here, I wanted a space that friends to gather and socialize in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The basement in my new house, which opens into the back yard made the perfect space, so JohnMichael's Pub was born. I have made a couple of trips to Ireland since moving to Nashville and loved the atmosphere of the pubs there. So I made my pub to resemble an Irish style pub to give the atmosphere of a local community pubs in Ireland, but of course it is not a true "Pub" (Public house) since it private place for my friends to gather. I plan to use this blog to post thoughts, ideas, recipes and a variety of other things related to my pub and the parties held there. If you see anything here that interests you, feel free to email me. I have a great group of friends that is very diverse, but I am always open to making new friends.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Greek Islands - Best Greek in town : A Restaurant Review

I have listed recipes, drink mixes and even an event on here. Now it is time to try my hand at a restaurant review. For my first, I will start with one of my favorite local spots, Greek Islands.

When you walk in to Greek Islands, the atmosphere is charming with quaint stucco walls scattered with murals, tapestries and Greek and Turkish decorations. The belly dancer costume they recently hung on the wall is really interesting, although it seems a little out of place. I usually go for lunch, but I am sure it would be an excellent spot for a romantic dinner. They are open until about 10pm most evenings except Sunday. They are open Sunday's until about 2:30 for lunch.

The menu includes such basic Greek lunch fare as gyro sandwiches, kabobs, Greek and Turkish salads, and various Turkish stews. They also have such traditional dishes as moussaka and pastitsio as well as various lamb and chicken dishes. Also available are an assortment of house-made desserts such as baklava. I have tried several of their dishes and liked everything I have eaten there, but my favorite is the Turkish Lamb stew served with rice, pita bread and Cacık Sauce (yogurt-cucumber sauce very similar to Greek Tzadziki).

The service is always excellent there. Toni, my regular wait person, is one of the nicest, most personable, yet professional wait person I have met in Nashville. She always greets me with a smile when I come in and is prompt in her service. If you are a regular, she quickly learns your likes and dislikes and makes appropriate dinning suggestions. She has never steered me wrong.

Greek Islands is located at the east end of the strip of bars and restaurants near the Demonbreun St roundabout (near the Musica statue, I often refer to as “Naked People Dancing). The address and phone number are shown below. Try them. You will not be disappointed.

Greek Islands
1516A Demonbreun St
Nashville, TN 37203
(615) 259-7772

No comments: