Welcome to JohnMichaels Pub's Blog

Welcome. I moved to Nashville in 2001, and have be blessed to make some wonderful friends. After moving from a house in Florida, to an apartment in Nashville, I missed being able to entertain groups of friends simply due to lack of space. When I finally decided to make Nashville my home and buy a house here, I wanted a space that friends to gather and socialize in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The basement in my new house, which opens into the back yard made the perfect space, so JohnMichael's Pub was born. I have made a couple of trips to Ireland since moving to Nashville and loved the atmosphere of the pubs there. So I made my pub to resemble an Irish style pub to give the atmosphere of a local community pubs in Ireland, but of course it is not a true "Pub" (Public house) since it private place for my friends to gather. I plan to use this blog to post thoughts, ideas, recipes and a variety of other things related to my pub and the parties held there. If you see anything here that interests you, feel free to email me. I have a great group of friends that is very diverse, but I am always open to making new friends.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

InAndOut September Autumnal Equinox and Eat the rest of the Crawfish and have an Excuse for a Party Event

I wanted to do something in September and had a good 40+ pounds of Crawfish in my freezer from the crawfish boil in July so we had a party on the fall equinox. The crawfish were as good even after sitting in the freezer for a little more than a month. We stared with Crawfish outside (served with potatos and corn, red beans, rice and andouille) and everyone got to comment on the new deck and hot tub in the back yard, but no one suggested getting in. I guess it was too warm still. We move on into the bar as the evening progressed to enjoy drinks and a small assortment of cheeses. Below is a recap of each cheese. Along with the cheese, I served several types of crackers, humus and Olive tapenade. The Cotswold was the overall favorite of the group.
Cotswold (Cow's milk, England) is a variation of double glouster to which chopped onions and chives have been added. It is golden yellow to orange in color. This cheese will stand well on its own with crackers and grapes. Pairings: A full-bodied red wine such as Shiraz. Also, this cheese is considered a "Pub" cheese in England. As such, it pairs well with beer, which was plentiful.
Drunken Goat (Cabra al Vino)(Goat's milk, Spain) A dousing in red wine gives this cheese a sassy edge, adding a new dimension of flavor to the mild, semi-soft center. The reddish-purple rind is a stunning contrast to the white cheese, making it an eye-catching addition to any cheese plate. Pairings: Olive tapenade Liquid Pairings:Spanish reds. I had a nice tempranillo that went well with this.
Pecorino Toscano (Sheep milk, Italy) is firm and dense in texture with complex nutty flavor. This cheese is made in Tuscany, which has a long, rich cheesemaking history. The natural rind is dark brown, hard, and dry. The cheese is hard in texture, with a pronounced sheep flavor, and a mild finish. Pairings: Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon.
Red Dragon (Cow's milk,Wales) takes its name from the dragon symbol of the Welsh flag. It is a blended Welsh Cheddar cheese with wholegrain mustard seeds and Welsh ale, coated in a bright red wax. Red Dragon combines the subtle sharpness and depth of natural mustard with the mild, piquant taste notes of the Welsh brown ale and traditional Cheddar. Pairings: This cheese is considered a "Pub" cheese and would go well with beer. This one is amoung my favorite cheeses.
The next big event will be the 4th annual All Hallow's eve party. I have a few interesting food ideas in mind.

No comments: